This program was not recorded.
A city of innovation with an unparalleled cultural heartbeat, San Francisco has so much to be proud of despite serious challenges to surmount. Dig into delicious Chinese cuisine as we chew over the role of iconic cultural hotspots like Chinatown in the city’s next chapter. Over drinks and food with our San Francisco neighbors plus insight from an expert panel, you’ll explore…
- How can uplifting our cultural strongholds revitalize the city and reposition San Francisco as the Bay Area’s global anchor for commerce?
- How can we value a city’s cultural heritage as a source of wealth beyond the dollar amount?
- As the oldest Chinatown in North America, San Francisco’s Chinatown is a historic hub, cultural enclave and top tourism destination. Inside the iconic Dragon’s Gate, the bustling neighborhood encapsulates the immigration and exchange which forms our global city. What steps are critical to preserve and elevate irreplaceable urban districts within the bigger push for robust city growth?
World Affairs is thrilled to partner with Dear Community on Friday, October 6 from 6:00–9:00 PM PT to bridge generations, build community and support small businesses. Dive into the pulse of San Francisco for a H(API) Hour and Chinatown Friday – dinners where people can come eat, drink, meet new friends and support small restaurants in Chinatown.
Kick off the evening mixing and mingling with new and old friends over drinks in World Affairs’ lounge. Then, gain new insights from our expert panel conversation before strolling into Chinatown for a community dinner at Taishan Restaurant. Preview the set menu for dinner HERE.
Your ticket includes:
- Complimentary wine, beer and non-alcoholic drinks during our H(API) Hour reception
- Access to our exclusive expert panel discussion
- Set dinner menu
- An evening shared with friends old and new!
- 5:45 PM PT – Doors open at the World Affairs lounge
- 6:00 PM PT – H(API) Hour kicks off
- 6:30 PM PT – Panel discussion begins
- 7:15 PM PT – Walk to Taishan Restaurant
- 7:30 PM PT – Dinner
About Dear Community:
Dear Community is a group of accidental activists that ignited in response to anti-Asian hate violence. We found each other in the midst of the pandemic through the shared passion of wanting to protect our community and elders. We are healing our community by curating safe space events that foster discourse while generating income for merchants fighting to survive. Our goal is to support Asian small business corridors that have disproportionately suffered from COVID-19 and racism. We are calling to attention the Asian American experience and we work to engage and inspire the community to join the movement.
Catch up on context, perspectives and stories related to this topic with key World Affairs past programs that go beyond the headlines: